Water Conservation Tips
The Legislature and Governor are working to respond to severe drought conditions; however, all Californians must take action to conserve our limited and precious water supply.
Small adjustments can make a huge difference. The local water agency may have available rebates to replace appliances with high-efficiency models. Here are some tips to help you conserve water at home:
- Run the dishwasher only when full to save water and energy.
- Consider installing a high-efficiency dishwasher. (Rebates may be available)
- Don’t use running water to thaw food. Defrost food in the refrigerator or a pot of warm water.
- Use the garbage disposal sparingly. Instead, compost vegetable food waste whenever possible.
- When washing dishes by hand, don’t let the water run. Fill one basin with wash water and the other with rinse water.
Bath and Laundry
- Fix your leaky toilet or install a high-efficiency toilet (Rebates may be available).
- Take five minute showers instead of ten minute showers.
- Turn off the water while washing your hair or brushing your teeth.
- Use the washing machine for full loads only to save water and energy.
- Water early in the morning or later in the evening when temperatures are cooler.
- Plant drought-resistant trees and plants.
- Add mulch around trees to help retain moisture.
- Use a broom rather than a water hose to clean driveways, sidewalks and patios.
For more water conservation tips, visit www.saveourwater.com
Water rebate programs for the various water providers in AD 61:
City of Riverside: Green Rebate Programs
Eastern Municipal Water District
Contact: Conservation Department (951) 928-3777 Ext. 3322
Western Municipal Water District