California Property Tax Postponement Program
Do you or a loved one need help keeping up with residential property tax payments?
The PTP Program allows eligible homeowners to postpone payment of property taxes on a primary residence.
To be eligible for PTP, you must:
- Be at least age 62, or blind, or have a disability;
- Own and occupy the home as your primary place of residence;
- Have a total household income of $35,500 or less;
- Have at least 40 percent equity in the property; and
- Other requirements.
The interest rate for taxes postponed under PTP is 7 percent per year. Funding for the program is limited, and applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Only current-year property taxes are eligible for postponement.
Repayment under the PTP Program becomes due when the homeowner:
- Moves or sells the property;
- Transfers title;
- Defaults on a senior lien;
- Dies; or
- Obtains a reverse mortgage.
More details are available on the State Controller’s website.
Questions? Contact the Controller’s team at (800) 952-5661 or firstname.lastname@example.org.