California’s primary student financial aid program, Cal Grant, was designed six decades ago and no longer meets the needs of the state’s struggling college students. For example, the current Cal Grant program does not consider the full-cost of attendance, including housing, basic needs, and transportation, and excludes adult learners with artificial barriers such as GPA. In 2020, 7 of 10 students lost some or all of their income due to the COVID-19 pandemic. COVID-19 and the ensuing recession have only heightened financial pressures being experienced by students while also highlighting the need for longer-term structural reform of state financial aid.
To ensure Californians have access to debt free college, comprehensive reform is needed. The new Cal Grant Equity Framework in AB 1746 will better support students as California recovers from COVID-19; the program will thus be built on targeted investments and reflect the needs of today’s student population.
By reforming our Cal Grant system now, California will support its diverse students with the opportunity to pursue higher education.
Track This Bill
Visit the California Legislative Information website for details.
Support Debt Free College:
Letters of Support: To show your support on AB 1746, you can submit a letter of support for its hearing day in the Assembly Higher Education committee.
Share your support on social media:
To show your support on AB 1746: Share these graphics.
- We need #debtfreecollege. Please support #Ab1746
- Thank you to @AsmJoseMedina, @KevinMcCartyCA & @SenatorLeyva for championing #AB1746 to make higher ed more affordable and accessible for CA students. #CalGrantEquityFramework
- @CAGovernor has announced a 70% college degree attainment goal for California adults by 2030. The #CalGrantEquityFramework will provide a workable financial aid formula that meets student needs and supports them through graduation.
- California has an unparalleled opportunity to increase affordability and close attainment gaps by simplifying the Cal Grant system. #FixFinancialAid
- The #CalGrantEquityFramework will provide a workable, equitable financial aid formula that meets the needs of students of color and lower-income students. #FixFinancialAid
For other ideas, see our sponsors: Cal Grant Equity Framework Social Tool Kit