It’s been more than 50 years since ethnic studies was established as an academic discipline. Yet despite decades of scholarship and activism, ethnic studies has not been integrated into K-12 classrooms. Many students graduate high school without exposure to a culturally comprehensive education and lack understanding of our country’s diverse and complex history.
Ethnic studies, promotes respect and understanding among races, supports student success, and teaches critical thinking skills. It is vital for young people to learn about their history, and equally important for them to feel like they can contribute to their communities in positive ways.
AB 101 is necessary to ensure all students develop a foundational and accurate understanding of United States history. We are poised to lead the nation in education equity for all students. And become the first state to require ethnic studies as a high school graduation requirement.
Track This Bill
AB 101 will be heard next on the Assembly Floor.
Visit the California Legislative Information website for details.
Support Ethnic Studies:
Letters of Support: To show your support on AB 101, you can submit a letter of support for its hearing day in the Assembly Education committee.
Share your support on social media:
To show your support on AB 101: Share this graphic.
- ALL students benefit from ethnic studies. It's time to make it a high school graduation requirement. Support #AB101 #IamEthnicStudies
- Our state’s diversity needs to be reflected in our education system. #IamEthnicStudies #AB101
- Ethnic studies empowers students because they see their backgrounds, cultures, and experiences reflected in their studies. #IamEthnicStudies #AB101
- Ethnic studies empowers me because I see my background, culture, and experience reflected in my studies. #IamEthnicStudies #SupportAB101
- Our history should not be optional. It’s time to make ethnic studies a requirement for all CA high school students. #AB101. #IamEthnicStudies.
- #IamEthnicStudies because… [insert personal anecdote]
Use the Hashtags: #IamEthnicStudies #AB101
California Teachers Association [Read Support Letter]
Generation Up [Read Support Letter]
For more on this topic:
UCLA Latino Policy & Politics Initiative: Ethnic Studies in California’s High Schools
Press Enterprise: Op-ed: Ethnic studies should be required in our high schools