Chair, Higher Education
Committee Jurisdiction: Primary jurisdictions are university, state university, and community college systems, postsecondary education, and student financial aid.
Committee Jurisdiction: Primary jurisdictions are identifying savings and efficiencies in the management of state government, reviewing and studying the implementation, operation, and effectiveness of state programs and agencies.
Committee Jurisdiction: Primary jurisdictions are programs and policies affecting the recording, motion picture and other entertainment industries, tourism and arts programs and museums, professional and amateur sports including the State Athletic Commission and the regulation of athlete agents, and Internet media.
Committee Jurisdiction: The Budget Committee’s jurisdiction is the Budget.
Committee Jurisdiction: Primary jurisdictions are Transit Authority, California Highway Patrol, vehicles, aircraft, and vessels; operation, licensing and registration, and drivers licenses.
Recognizing that the Arts contribute significantly to the quality of life in California; play an important role in the identity, innovation and economy of this state; and citing the dramatic decline in arts education programs in the state’s public schools, the Joint Committee on the Arts was formed in 1984.
Core areas that the Committee is authorized and directed to study, investigate and analyze include:
- Goals appropriate to the future of the arts and cultural life of California and the role the Legislature and state government should play in achievement of these goals;
- Arts legislation in other states and at the federal level and recommendations for legislation in this state;
- The status of arts education in California;
- The economic impact of the Arts in California; and
- The budget and programs of the California Arts Council.